The duty of registration applies to all importers and producers in the EU. So, there are similar national registers for importers and producers selling products subject to producer responsibility on these markets.
The purpose of the national registers is first and foremost to be able to identify those businesses that are approved to sell electrical products, batteries, and vehicles in the different Member States. The register with us in DPA is mandatory for everybody who places products of this type on the Danish market as the first level of the distribution chain.
To sell in-scope products in Denmark legally, your business must register. Without such registration it is illegal for distributors and dealers to buy your products
Proof of registration and public search function
When producers or importers have made the mandatory registration, you will get access, among others, to your proof of registration and annual reports that are often requested in connection with tendering and certification processes. It will also be possible to search out your business in the public part of the register; this function is used, among others, by border authorities, customers, and competitors when they wish to check whether a business complies with the rules.
The other purpose of the registration is to ensure that producers and importers have a one-stop point when reporting how large quantities are placed on the market in the given country and whether corresponding quantities are collected or taken back in order to treat the products in view of producing new products. This is called ‘annual reporting’.Read more about Reporting
Registration step by step
First of all, create your access to the register
- Start with clicking the button “Create registration”
- Enter your CVR number after which data will be collected from the Central Business Register
- Fill in the other fields and click SAVE
- Now you will receive an activation link through the contact mail address you have provided
- When you have activated the link, you must attach your business’s NemID (non-Danish businesses use a password they choose themselves)
Before you can be approved the registration must be completed. The most important thing is to select product categories and sign “Confirmation” with a digital signature or with Touch.
- When you are logged in, you select the menu item “Categories and Reporting” and select the categories you wish to place on the market.
- You must also select end-user for electronics and substance groups for batteries.
- Click SAVE and now select menu item “Confirmation“.
- You can choose to sign with NemID or with Touch if you are a non-Danish business.
- Now your business is approved in the producer register and you will see the menu item “Registration certificate” in the menu to your left.
- Furthermore, your business can now be searched out in the public part of the register.
If you want more staff members to have access to the system you can create these under the menu item “User management”.
Questions and answers
When you have found out that your business is covered by the legislation on producer responsibility you can start with the below check list showing the most important requirements for compliance with the law:
- Marking – marking of equipment with a crossed-out wheeled bin.
- Registration – registration in the national producer register in DPA with information, among others, on product categories.
- Reporting – annual reporting of quantities of equipment placed on the market and collected and environmentally treated end-of-life products.
- Take-back – taking back or contracting of collection of waste equipment and securing approved environmental treatment in view of recovering the material resources contained in the waste.
- Payment of annual fee.
You can search out information about these topics through our SEARCH function or through the shortcuts featured at the bottom of the pages.
What’s the cost? Is it a tax?
Producer responsibility has certain implications, both in the form of costs and revenues. Overall, these are a one-off fee for registration and an annual quantity-based fee related to quantities placed on the Danish market in a calendar year. In addition, membership of a collective scheme also entails some costs.
However, there is only one statutory fee (and one that only applies to portable batteries and SKAT). Fee rates are calculated by DPA based on annual reporting of quantities, and they are approved by the Minister for the Environment. The fee rates are published annually on the DPA website.
Since there is often a positive value of the resources recovered in the environmental treatment of waste electronics, batteries, and vehicles, there may be fine revenues if the duty of take-back and treatment is organised in a smooth way.
You can calculate your statutory costs in our online calculator, where you can enter the expected annual quantities placed on the market and see what you should expect to pay for your registration and administration of the reporting system.
Electrical equipment, batteries, vehicles
The most important purpose of the producer responsibility legislation is motivated by the materials and substances contained in this type of products. Therefore, the general principle is that all businesses producing or importing products in these product groups are covered by the duty to register and report in Denmark.
Check it out for yourself:
- Take the test on the homepage of our website
- Read about the different product groups
- See our assessments (scoping) of specific products
Still in doubt?
- Contact us in DPA
We are here to guide you and on request we also make an official authority decision.
Financing of municipal collection
Businesses subject to producer responsibility, including importers, must finance the municipal collection of portable batteries through a payment to the Danish Tax and Customs Administration; this is laid down in the Battery Order. The municipal collection service covers the tasks of planning, establishment, operation, and administration of waste systems as well as collection of portable batteries.
Funds are distributed by the State between the municipalities according to the DUT principle.
DUT principle means Extended Total Balance Principle
DUT ensures that municipalities receive the necessary funds when the Folketing (Danish Parliament) changes rules that entail tasks and thereby costs for the municipalities. The national block grant is adjusted with DUT corresponding to the financial implications for the municipalities.
Access with password and/or NemID employee certificate
- First time you log onto the producer register:
- Click the activation link you have received
- Enter a password (you choose freely) and go to the login screen
- Enter username and password in the fields on the right-hand side of the login screen (not NemID fields).
- Now, the NemID fields reappear. Choose the tab key card or key file and enter your NemID information to establish link and use your NemID in the future.
- I have not established NemID link and forgot my password
- Go to login screen, enter your username (normally your e-mail)
- Click forgot password – it will now be sent to your e-mail. If it doesn’t work, you may contact us by phone +45 39 15 51 61 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- I have established NemID link, but how and where do I log in? You log in through www.producentansvar.dk and use the NemID fields on the left-hand side of the screen. Enter your NemID information and proceed in the same way as for other public sites.
Registration of system users
You must contact the colleague in your company who administers or already has access to your registration in the producer register. Under the menu item User management he or she can create access to your registration – as a user or administrator respectively – for you or other staff members.
If the staff member/-s having access to the producer register is no longer in your business, please send us a request by e-mail for establishment of access to email@example.com.
NOTE! If the name of the business does not appear from your e-mail address, please document in other ways your affiliation to the business.
If you cannot search out your registration in the public part of the register or see your registration certificate, you have forgotten something.
Most often, one or both below items are missing:
- Selection of product category/-ies
- Digital signature of “Confirmation”
Therefore, log in once more with your business NemID and go to menu item “Categories and quantities”. Select the categories corresponding to your products and end-users, (for batteries it’s substance groups) and click SAVE.
Then proceed to the menu item “Confirmation” and sign it digitally with the business’s NemID or touch through Penneo.
When this has been done, the menu item “Confirmation” changes to “Registration certificate”, and your registration is officially approved.
NOTE! Are you importing portable batteries? See particular issues relating to this type of batteries
Please log into the producer register; under the menu item “Category selection and reporting”, under Compliance schemes you can choose a compliance scheme in the drop-down list.
Read more about Compliance schemes
Read the document about costs associated with compliance with the producer responsibility system
Read about provision of financial guarantees for products for use in households and about refunding of fees if your products are exported
See what to do if there are changes in connection with your business that have an impact on your registration
Read about how portable batteries are reported to the Danish Tax and Customs Administration (SKAT) - see guidelines E.A.7.10.3)
Read the Danish Environmental Protection Agency’s publication of the fee rates to SKAT - only applies to portable batteries
Test out our online calculator. See what you should expect to pay annually in fees and producer contributions
See how to mark your electronics and batteries. Marking is primarily a pictogram with a crossed-out wheeled bin
Find document with detailed information about information used in our invoicing
Step-by-step document : Guidelines for registration and reporting 2022.
See what all complying businesses must do once a year in the reporting period.